The Governing Body
Governors have a strategic role in the development of the school but do not become involved in day to day management issues – that is the role of the head teacher and her team. Broadly speaking, the role of the governing body has three main functions:
- We set the long-term strategic direction of the school
- We monitor the performance of the school
- We act as a ‘critical friend’ (supporting and challenging as necessary and ensuring accountability) to the head teacher and the teaching staff
We are a group of volunteers made up of staff, parents, and members of the community. We meet together regularly as a governing body and in subcommittees to fulfil responsibilities in a broad range of areas such as: the conduct of the school, setting targets in standards and achievement, preparing and reviewing key school policies, financial management, the management and maintenance of buildings, personnel matters including staff appointments and ensuring that the school fulfils its requirements with regards to delivering a broad and balanced curriculum.
In addition, governors have specific responsibilities such as safeguarding, SEN (special educational needs), child protection, health and safety, buildings, spiritual development, certain curriculum areas and aspects of the school development plan.
We are proud to be part of the partnership with the head teacher and staff that has made the school the success that it is today and we will do our best to ensure that the school goes from strength to strength.
You may contact any of the governors via the school office.
- Instrument of Government – Kirtlington School Governors 2015
- Kirtlington School Governors Attendance Register Sept 2020 – July 2021
- Kirtlington School Governors Committees and Responsibilities 2021-22
- Governor Allowances Policy
- Kirtlington Governor Job Description
We currently have vacancies on our board for 2 Foundation Governors.
If you are interested in becoming a foundation governor please read the Job Description above and contact the Chair of Governors via the school office. Any of the current governors would be happy to have an informal discussion about what it’s like to be a Governor at our school.